Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Marriage Conundrum














Marriage
  1. The formal union of a man and a woman, typically recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife. 
  2. A relationship between married people or the period for which it lasts. 


Conundrum
  1. A confusing and difficult problem or question. 
  2. A question asked for amusement, typically one with a pun in its answer; a riddle

This debate about marriage recently has caused quite a stir. The Supreme Court ruling to deem DOMA unconstitutional is quite a conundrum. If one were to define marriage in the dictionary, it would certainly imply a union between a man and a woman. But this definition has recently been challenged. I believe this challenge of the definition has caused much of the fuel for the fire.

Here are three questions to consider as this issue is debated:

Is it normal for people to react against the redefining of a widely held assumption? YES--it is! 

Is it normal for things to become more "progressive" as society norms change? YES--it is! 

Does truth change because society deems it so? Well...That would depend on one's worldview (that is our set of beliefs in which we view the world through). Think of it as our filter or lens which influences our actions.

So back to the debate. If differing worldviews oppose each other, how must we as individuals (with conflicting worldviews) proceed with gentleness and respect in society? This is a tough question because one axiom I have known to be true is that NO ONE is truly tolerant. If one holds a strong belief or conviction in something they are not going to just roll over and forsake their belief and embrace someone else's. Our beliefs and convictions are embedded in our worldview. I have a right to my belief and conviction, as do you. So, if someone says that gay-marriage is destructive to a society, will they be treated with gentleness and respect from the other side? Same is true if someone else says that it is their right to marry anyone they want and should have the same rights or benefits as other married couples. Will they be treated with gentleness and respect?

I definitely believe that the recent ruling goes against my worldview, however, I will say that a court ruling does not shatter my view of God, faith, or my love for people (regardless of race, creed, gender, or sexual orientation). The laws I want to follow are the Great Commandments--LOVE GOD AND LOVE OTHERS. I want to submit to Jesus and allow Him to my source of truth. I have been challenged to be transformed. This is not an easy process as I have my biases and sin, but I must not cave in to a society that decides to redefine, revise, or suppress truth. I must live confidently in my convictions, but be humble enough to realize that God is not finished in the transformation process yet. I am still growing and learning.

Some of you may be wondering how that last paragraph fits with this topic. Well...many who disagree with my commentary may get angry and disagree with my worldview, but the more important question at hand is, "Will you still treat me with gentleness and respect even if I oppose your view?

 I hope I can do the same with others (show gentleness and respect) and follow Truth even when it is unpopular.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life, no one comes to the Father except through me."
If Jesus is the Truth (which I believe He is) then I will follow Him. Seeking, repenting, growing, and maturing!

No comments:

Post a Comment